Re: EIB installation

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: EIB installation
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:35:40 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, Martin Wonders <martin.wonders@u...>
wrote:
> The reason I've asked is because it looks like siemons have
> taken this route in the home automation market.
> I've done a little bit of reading since last night and it
> seams that EIB allows you to (power) wire the house as
> normal but with an extra bus cable running along with
> the power.

err - Siemens.

It certainly can work this way.

The EIB and CBus systems match each other feature for feature, there
is really very little to choose between them.  Except that EIB is an
open, multivendor system, all the specs and protocols are available
for download, whereas for CBus you need to sign an NDA.

There is some terminology associated with EIB.  An Actuator is
something that does something, like a dimmer, or relay output.  A
sensor is something that is an EIB input, such as a button, or a
light level sensor.

To auotomate a light you replace the existing light switch with a
dimmer actuator module.  This is the same form factor as a UK ligh
switch, but rather deeper.  Heres a pic: http://www.i-
dom.ru/english/catalog1/models49/descr157.htm

You connect this to the mains wiring (neutral required if I remember
correctly!)  You also connect up the green Cat5 type cable.

You need to have (one or more) central power supply(s), each of
which needs a choke.  One RS232 interface for programming (or HA
interface) also needed.  This stuff all din rail mounts.

You then clip on the fron a plate with buttons.  Picture:
http://www.i-dom.ru/english/catalog1/models62/descr69.htm

Finally, plug in your RS232 interface, connect to PC, discover the
network, and drag-and-drop links between sensors and actuators.  In
less time than its taken to type this, it works.

Need to revert?  Remove the EIB switch, safety isolate the low
voltage bus with heat shrink, connect mains wires to ordinary
switch, job done.

You can also have din rail actuators, just like CBus.

It must be said though, from the house resale point of view, either
a CBus or EIB system have no nasty HA connitations, and just work.
They are not "geek" products.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com