Re: Question from a novice

Deepali,

I will echo what others have said, and suggest that more CAT5 would be
useful.

The bulk of the cost of a CAT5-floodwired installation is in labour and
termination (modules.) By installing at house-build time, the labour is
signifcantly reduced, since there are no costs associated with channeling
existing walls and making good (because the decoration has not yet been
done.) Likewise the termination costs can be signficantly reduced by
fitting
primarily blanking plates, and simply having the cable available behind the
plates for later termination.

In my bedroom, I have 8 CAT5 points. 4 are behind the bedhead. 4 are on the
wall facing.

Of the 4 behind the bedhead, I have used as many as three simultaneously
(his laptop, her laptop, KAT5 receiver for rear-channel audio). Now we've
gone wireless on the laptops, and have leant the surround-sound processor
a friend, we're not using so many :-) Technically the processor has
returned, I just need to get around to setting it up :-)

Of the 4 facing the bed, I am using:

- 1 for a networked MP3 player
- 1 for KAT5 receiver bringing a video picture from the nursery
- 1 for a KAT5 transmitter taking a stereo feed to the hifi in the dressing
room

I have also, in the past, used:

- 1 for a KAT5 transmitter taking rear channel audio to the back of the
room
- 1 for a small PC with on-screen display
- 1 for the embedded controller (Rocket) to provide xAP control of the
processor

- I would like to add curtain control at some point.

... this basically means that 4 on that side of the room is not enough to
do
everything!

I appreciate that increasingly things can be done over wireless, but for
every application that moves from wired -> wireless, 2 new ones appear
that
work best on wires.

Regards,

Mark

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com