Re: Media server components R us?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Media server components R us?
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:12:50 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

I guess it all depends on the exchange rate.

The 1:1 $:=A3 rate was kind of a "given" when the
Sterling/Dollar=20
exchange rates were stable, as they were for a long time at about=20
1:1.4 (ie - we were paing a 40% premium.)

Now the real rate is about 1:1.83, even paying a 40% premium compared=20
to the US, that would give a sterling price of about =A3920 for that=20
box.

Still more than the =A3830 for the "build it yourself" solution,
but=20
doesn't require you to already have a PC with a big enough case.=20
Whether =A390 is worth the "lack of hassle" is a personal
decision.

Of course, if anyone's happening to go to the States, and could pick=20
one up for =A3655, which is currently all $1200 is worth...=20

Mark

--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Harris" <phil@a...>
wrote:
>=20
> 300Gb drives are going for about =A3200 now so that's 1.2Tb for
=A3800=20
+ say =A330
> for a cheap IDE RAID card.
>=20
> I'll stick with my 16 x 160Gb drives for the time being (even=20
though they're
> a pain in the ass to house and power untill I get round to ordering=20
one of
> those 8 bay IDE to firewire enclosures) and then start getting
> "enthusiastic" when capacities get over 500Gb per drive.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com=20