Re: New House - Flood Wired - Am I right to be scared ?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: New House - Flood Wired - Am I right to be scared ?
  • From: "Howard Wright" <howard@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:03:37 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

Hi there

I moved into a 1970's house in September and have flood wired mnost
of it over the last few months. I have used Cat5 and have installed
an IPhomenet hub. The system is great - so flexible. The ability to
plug in Computers, TV's, Audio etc. wherever and whenever is just so
cool.

My latest toy is a Haupage Media MVP which allows me to store all my
CD's on the server in the office and route them through the IpHomenet
hub and listen to them in any room that has a TV - or in the lounge
via the Home Cinema system.

I would certainly recommend anyone who is looking to renovate should
strongly consider the flood wiring as the cost is minimal (not
counting the Hub which was around #700)

Also anyone moving into a new house can get the flood wiring done
very cheaply. My last house was new and a when I purchased it the
first fix electrics were just going in. I gave the electrician fifty
quid and he put all the cabling in for.

Howard
--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)"
<haweste@a...> wrote:
> Gareth,
>
> Cool ! A new house for Christmas :-)
>
> This is what my house is like, downstairs at least. It is possible
to bury cables in the wall - it's just a bit messy ;-) I even managed
to keep the coving and dado rails intact while doing it too. Good
access under the floor upstairs makes things much easier too, as
would an SDS drill with a "skirting board" chasing tool -
basically a
chisel with a kinked shaft that reaches behind obstructions to chisel
out waste. Screwfix do them. I managed to get by with a 400mm long
drill and "waggling it up" behind the coving until I'd made
enough of
a mess to accommodate the trunking :-/

> I used a wall chaser to cut two channels into the wall about 25mm
apart, and about 30mm deep. A small club hammer and a couple of cold
chisels / bolsters removed the "middle". I fixed 25x16mm trunking
into the slot and then plastered over the top. With some better
sanding down on my part, the chases would be totally invisible.

> There are some pictures of my cabling in the Yahoo photos area -
I'll have a look for any more that are relevant. You're
Windsor/Ascot/Slough way IIRC ? I'm near Farnham, Surrey. You're
welcome to pop over and have we'll have a poke about here if it would
help.

> Cheers,
>
> Tim H.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com