Re: BT Broadband Voice (and OT ofcom rant)

>> =A37.50 a month for a year minimum doesn't seem too bad if they're
>> giving away free Cisco ATA-186's
>
> I presume you can use that kit to make other VoIP calls outside of the
=
=20
> BT
> charging plan? ie free calls to another PC?
>
> The provision of an 05 number is certainly interesting
>
> Whats the difference between the 186 and 182? You can get Cisco 182's
=
=20
> from
> eBay for around =A365
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?=20
> ViewItem&item=3D3070928270&category=3D3706
>
> Of course, buying your own means you dont get the 05 number :-/

The 05 number costs about 7p/min for people to call you. There are=20=20
alternatives out there that provide 0870 numbers which are cheper to=20=20
the caller... I used FWD for a while (it's supposed to be PC to PC
but=20=20
they also provided an 0870 gateway to the service allowing people to=20=20
call you on your own 0870 number) - no outgoing calls though

I Imagine, although arent sure and no-one I asked at BT could answer=20=20
it, the Cisco ATA's will be locked down in a similar way to the=20=20
original BT ADSL router and they wont want to give you the password,=20=20
nor will there be any ability to reset it. If you did have the password =
=20
to reconfigure it (by forcefully resetting it) it'd probably forget all =
=20
it's settings and I'm willing to bet BT wouldnt tell you what they were =
=20
.

Although I do quite fancy an 05 number myself..... hmm....

p.s. (and totally OT), anyone remember how easy it used to be to find=20=20
call charge information on oftel's website... now that oftel is ofcom=20=20
they have a site that doesnt work at all (search, half the links
etc.)=20=20
not very good for an office of COMMUNICATIONS is it :P, and when I=20=20
tried to submit a complaint about the site...  I got this;

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was=20=20
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, you@your.address and inform=20=20
them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done=20=20
that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server
error=20=20
log.

Oracle HTTP Server/1.3.22 Server at ofc06433-2.ofcom.org.uk Port 7777

Ah, well...=20

--=20
This message has been scanned for viruses and=20
dangerous content and is believed to be clean

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com=20