RE: [Advert] [BulkBuy] Low Cost RS232 Serial to Ethernet Convertors

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [Advert] [BulkBuy] Low Cost RS232 Serial to Ethernet Convertors
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:50:54 -0000

WOW ! In response to a bucketload of emails here are a few questions
answered...

Re the HomeVision usage, yes they work fine with HomeVision - both standard
and Pro and you can download schedules to HomeVision via the Ethernet link.
I use mine that way , and I also connect my Galaxy alarm system,  HiFi /
AV=
,
Video matrix,  C-Bus and my weather station this way. Phaedrus VIOM, Quasar
temp sensor,  and Comfort works too - about to try a barcode reader.

C-Bus - yes you can connect the C-Bus RS232 module this way. WHOOO - no
mor=
expensive C-Bus Ethernet interface. However the C-Bus Ethernet interface
ha=
additional features - this does not make them identical - its still only
looks like a serial interface to the Windows applications eg C-Gate,
HomeGate or the C-Bus config software.

No cables are provided - you will have to supply your own serial cable ,
th=
units have a DB25 male socket on them.

Software and documentation is downloadable from the Lantronix website. None
is supplied.
All the specs & docs are available as a link from this site (top right
hand
corner)
http://www.lantronix.com/products/ds/mss100/index.html

I have no other multiport versions - they are all MSS100 single serial port
device servers.

They were originally used as printer servers to serial printers by a large
organisation.

Is encryption supported (!) - no I don=92t believe so but there is IP
addre=
ss
based filtering/security.

Yes two units will operate standalone and will auto connect to each other

Most flavours of Windows are supported - no other OS virtual serial drivers
AFAIK however, check the Lantronix site.

Novell IPX is supported as is LAT

SNMP ? Yes

Ethernet speed is 10/100 Mbit/s auto sensing

Serial Speeds are 300 bps to 230Kbs - this is the DTE speed - the effective
speed over Ethernet will be much reduced

Both hardware and software hanshaking is supported (as is none). However
du=
to latency of the packet transfer over Ethernet a bi-directional transfer
protocol that makes heavy use of handshaking may prove troublesome - in
which case I would credit the units. I have not seen such an application.

All the specs are on the site above !!

Support ? - Well I'll do my best but via email only -=20

No - I can't do credit cards

Yes I will clear your cheques first - having been caught before - however
you can BACS transfer to my account too. If you are with HSBC or First
Direct this is instant - otherwise 3 days ish.=20

Collect if you want from Huddersfield- Yorks -

Sorry no discount for quantities.

No I don=92t want to sell the lot in one go - how many max ?... Will see
wh=
at
the uptake is like.

Condition - they are second user but in good cosmetic condition - maybe the
odd surface scratch

RS484 is not supported

Shipping costs - I'll trudge down to the PO and get some costs - the units
=
have shipped so far were all sent by Special Delivery  - cost was =A36.80
f=
or
single and =A37.50 for 2 - =A310 something for 4 - will get costs by
record=
ed
other quantities.

Units are pre configured to use DHCP for IP address allocation. I will pre
configure the IP address (s) for you if needed (if you don=92t have a DHCP
server). In this case let me know required IP & subnet & gateway if
you wan=
this done.

I have two diffeerent case versions - both look like the case in the
pictur=
but one has extra small lugs at the side that facilitate surface (screw)
mounting eg on a wall or under a desk - or perhaps Node 0.

Any other general useful info or questions onlist - but can you keep any
commercial bits offlist please.

Kevin

.=20

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20