RE: SCART leads

Red dot not so annoying (to me). BUT, the increased use of large
graphics/banners in place of the dot is very annoying - especially if there
is a risk of burn-in on my plasma!!!

UK Living and other similar channels are very guilty of this - soon wont be
any room for the actual programme! ;)

Paul.

connected to the
> Digibox
> that
> repeatedly sends a "Backup" command to remove the red dot.
?It could be
> that
> this is causing a change to pin 8 momentarily giving rise to the
effect
> that
> you are seeing. Is there a regular timing to the events?>>
>
> This is one thing that never bothered me - why does that little red
dot
> infuriate people so much? i know people who refuse to watch certain
> channels
> until "backup" has been pressed!?
>
> Now you're telling me that people actually automate to get rid of it?
WOW!
> It must be dead annoying!?
>
> -Nick

manufacturers.

> > Pin 8 is the pin used to grab control of the TV, some sets detect
the
> positive
> > going edge of the signal to signify an active source, others
detect the
> high
> > level to signify an active source.
> >
> > Often there is a priority associated with the AV inputs, in the
case of
> my
> TV,
> > AV1 will always override any other source meaning that any
changes on
> AV2
> will
> > be ignored whilst AV1 is high. This in itself can lead to strange
> effects
> eg...
> >
> > Viewing normal TV - AV1 goes high - Set switches to AV1
> > then AV2 goes high - ignored because AV1 is high.
> > Then turn of source for AV1, set does not drop back to TV but now
senses
> the
> > AV2 input and switches to that.
> >
> > As I said, each manufacturer has a different way they prefer to
do
> things.
> >
> > What I dont understand is why your inputs keep changing. A VCR
should
> ONLY
> take
> > Pin 8 high when in playback mode or in the case of some VCR's
when the
> Menu is
> > selected for programming ( because obviously you would want to
see what
> you
> > were doing!). Whilst on Record, Stop, FF, REW or Standby is
should NOT
> grab
> > control.
> >
> > You dont say which inputs are connected to which source and it
could be
> > priority thing but I dont see why a VCR would keep grabbing
control.

> > One thing that springs to mind is something that used to happen
with my
> analog
> > satellite systems (PACE). Turning the Satellite on would
correctly grab
> the TV
> > but we didnt always want to watch it on the main TV so would
press BBC1
> etc to
> > return to normal viewing. We could than watch satellite in any
other
> room...
> > BUT... IF we changed channel on the satellite it would DROP PIN 8
AND
> RE-ASSERT
> > ITSELF thereby grabbing the main TV again.
> >
> > Do you have any sort of "Red Dot Remover" device
connected to the
> Digibox
> that
> > repeatedly sends a "Backup" command to remove the red
dot. ?It could be
> that
> > this is causing a change to pin 8 momentarily giving rise to the
effect
> that
> > you are seeing. Is there a regular timing to the events?
> >

> > > As I see it there are potentially 3 solutions:
> > >
> > > The simplest, and what I have told them to do for now, is to
make
> > > sure that any boxes not being used are put into standby.
This is not
> > > a long term solution, as for example, this won't help if you
want to
> > > watch one source and video another, as all 3 boxes would be
on.

> > Would be very helpful if you wanted to watch in another room
either :-(

> > > The ideal solution would be if there is a "soft"
method ie if there
> > > is a menu option somewhere to disable this behaviour - I
don't think
> > > the TV - a Sony - supports this, but I don't have the manual
to hand,
> > > it's at my sister's.
> >
> > Difficult to say but highly unlikely. Depends on manufacturer.
> >
> > > This leaves a somewhat more drastic method - removing the
offending
> > > pin from the SCART leads.  This raises some questions -
which pin?
> > > Will it cause complications? And what physically is the best
way to
> > > achieve this without damaging the rest of the lead?
> > >

> > Remove Pin 8 from the SCART lead. Looking from the pin side of
the plug
> you
> > will see a small tang that holds the pin in place. Gently depress
this
> and
> you
> > can push the pin back into the body of the plug, once removed
from the
> housing
> > wrap it in insulating tape so that you can restore it to normal
> operation
> if
> > required.
> >
> > http://www.diyha.co.uk/electronics/scart.html