Re: X10 Alternatives

Hi Andy,
Andy Laurence wrote:

> X10:
> I've heard it's unreliable (in comparison to others) and slow to use.

I am growing very weary of X10, don't get we wrong, it's been a fabulous
stepping stone, but it's just too unreliable..... eg my latest is an
area of my flat (it's a 1 bed flat not an expansive mansion!) has
suddenly stopped hearing X10 from the CM12, but will get it fine from
mini timers and IR-X10 in other rooms, which from what I've read means
the CM12 is on it's last legs and about to go up in smoke. The worst
thing is because UK X10 has no status/ feedback loop, as far as the CM12
is concerned, the command succeeded and it can go on with it's life.

> CBus:
> Seems well regarded, but will require extensive rewiring considering I
only
> replastered most rooms quite recently.

I really like the Clipsal C-Bus products. Disclosure: I like them so
much that I've become an integrator, therefore I have commercial
interest in it. ;-)

C-Bus will require re-wiring, unless you go for either the Clipsal Ulti
range which is RF (but not compatible with C-Bus), or the C-Bus RF range
which should be out early this year.

> DIY:
> I'm sure I saw a few people having a go at this.  Anyone got anything
> working I can put my soldering iron to?

I would be very wary of this from an electrical safety/ insurance if
your house burns down type angle, as has been mentioned quite a few
times before. IMHO, building something to occasionally hang of a 12v
wall wart is a million miles away from 24/7/365 connection to 230-250v

> Others:
> Is there anything?

Off the top of my head, Lutron, Polaron, Crestron, iLight, Rako, Z-Wave

> Personally, my requirements are that the system should not require me
> rewire the house, and should be transparent to the user.  This means
that if
> someone presses a light switch twice because it didn't work first
time, the
> system is not good enough.  Am I asking too much?  Should I spend my
money
> on replastering again and CBus?

That's totally your call; in a new build or major renovation I'd say go
for a fully wired C-Bus solution.... (but then I would! ;) ). With no
wall chasing, then C-Bus RF would seem like the obvious solution when it
is available. (Assuming you have deep enough back boxes/ ability to
extend them) At that point, you would be able to do a proper
cost/convenience comparison between a full re-wire and a wireless solution.

Another thought with regards to how long you plan to stay there; in my 1
bed cheap as chips flat, I'd either install C-Bus, but leave the current
standard ring in place to go back to before sale, or install the RF kit
and remove it before sale - I'm waiting for RF to be released due to the
red sandstone walls which I don't much fancy chasing!

Cheers
--
Doogie

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx