Ceiling Speakers (again)

As a precursor to installing a home cinema system, I have been
messing around with speakers in the ceiling.  Before committing to
buying proper ceiling speakers I experimented a bit with "normal"
box speakers.  I have some old but functional Aiwa vented speakers
and a couple of Sony sealed enclosure speakers.  I live in a
bungalow and have full access above the ceiling so mounting space is
not an issue.

Firstly, I cut a hole in the ceiling (next time I will invest in a
diving suit and respirator) and then experimented with several
methods of mounting - sitting them on foam directly on the
plasterboard ceiling (they sounded boomy and bloated), screwing the
speakers to the rafters (they sounded dead and hollow) and hanging
them from chains so they were just above the ceiling.  By far the
best method was hanging them above the ceiling although it took a
while to get the mounting right.  However, all in all, they still
sounded awful!  The bass seemed OK but they still sounded dead
unless I stood directly underneath them.  I guess that normal
cabinet speakers are directional and having them pointing downwards
is not ideal.

Therefore, I am now looking at proper ceiling speakers.  Does anyone
have any experience of either KEF or Sonance ceiling Speakers?

Cheers

Mik

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx