RE: Linux Mail server...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Linux Mail server...
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 12:00:52 -0000

>OK, for various reasons, I'm ready to make the jump.

Consider again ;) or at the very least, be *insanely* careful with your
backups...

If you haven't tried it yet, SBS2003 knocks pretty much anything else
into a wee hat, the integration is much greater than 2BS2K, and
absolutely everything is better: performance, management, the works.

>Can anyone recommend me a Linux mail server that does the following:

The E-smith distro http://www.e-smith.org/ would seem to do
pretty much
what you are describing if you add in the procmail software from
dundog.net (this is all documented well at www.contribs.org )

Some notes though:

>Allows Outlook Express to read messages WITHOUT removing them from the
>server (IMAP?)

Be aware that Outlook Express copies all mail locally anyway, even when
using IMAP. On the other hand, *when* the ext3 volume eats all of your
data, you can at least get your email back from the OE mailstore!

The server side rules you describe are absolutely flawless in Exchange
2K3. (I found that procmil quite often made mistakes in moving messages
about if thre was any ambiguity in the rules) If the action pack option
is possible for you, I'd *seriously* suggest trying it out before
jumping ;)

Ian.

Ps> not meant as an OS-war thing. I'm still happy to use Linux solutions
where appropriate, but I have lost data to ext3 volumes so many times
now
That I would *never* use them for business critical info.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx