Re: Re: [OT] Irish telephone connections

Quoting happy_hammer66 <bill.mcmahon@xxxxxxx>:

> No reason to do this, i've had my RJ11 phones going straight into the
> RJ45 sockets with no problems. Its always hany to leave the RJ11 on
> the phone anyway in case you need to phung it into something or
> somewhere else.

Not a good idea to do this....

...whilst the RJ11 will fit into an RJ45 and apparently work without
problems,
you are potentially creating future problems should you subsequently wish
use the socket for an RJ45. The body of the RJ11 presses on some of the
spring
contacts not used by RJ11 pushing them up further than inserting an RJ45
would.
Over time, this will result in a loss of tension in those contacts and when
an
RJ45 plug is used later, some of the contacts will either not make, or will
make with less pressure than others possibly leading to intermittant
contact.

Most modern Telephone cords also plug into the phone as well so replacing
the
cord on the phone is simple should you decide to chop off the existing plug
and
crimp an RJ45 on instead. That would be my preferred method as an
alternative
to plug in adapters.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx