Re: Dallas 1-wire temp network

On Thursday 01 January 2004 21:29, Clive Dilley wrote:
> Happy New Year to all..... I am after some advice:
>
> I would like to set up a 1-wire temperature network that will provide
> various temperatures for Homevision to input. Having spent sometime on
the
> Maxim website, I would like to confirm what i really need before and
order
> and of course to ensure it will do what I what.
>
> I have been looking at the DS1701K 1-wire temperature sensor
evaluation kit
> and the DS18S20 sensors.
>
> 1. The "blub" on the DS1701K states that only 10 sensors can
be used - is
> this correct?

No :-)

> 2. Are there any other limitations on the DS1701K kit? (being an
evaluation
> kit - e.g. only works for a few months)

I got started with 1-wire with an eval kit, a couple of years ago, I just
unpacked it again the other day now I've finished decorating, still going
strong. They call it an eval kit because they throw in a bit of everything
for you to play with.

> 3. Does the DS1701K work with Win2000 & XP?

Yes.

> 4. Does the related software produce a file (CSV?) that could be read
into
> Homevision or have people written their own?

Pass. I use mine with MrHouse & Linux.

> 5. Is there a better kit than the DS1701K that I should consider?

Again, pass. I can't even remember the ID of mine, but  rings a bell (and
not
just from Star Trek)

> 6. Are there better sensors than the DS18S20 or DS18S20-PAR that I
should
> consider?

For the money? IMO no. You can buy sensors that you plug directly into your
netwrk (follow the link from www.nagios.net) but they cost a lot more.

> 7. Can the sensors be safely "stuck" to things with glue?

Pass.

> 8. Any other useful tips/hints to think about?

You can get free samples from the Dallas website, so once you have your kit
up
and running you can easily extend your network for free :-)

OK, back to Die Hard now.

--
-S

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx