From: Doogie Brodie
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] [OT] Help with Tivo extraction...

Andrew Kilgore wrote:

> Can somebody point me to a set of reliable tools for extracting ty
streams from the Tivo...?

> I have previously used MFS FTP (only once about 2 months ago), but now
it gives an error on startup (blocksize error or summat) and causes the
Tivo to reboot. Last night I tried TyStudio/TyServer and it seemed to work
initially but the Tivo would crash/reboot in the middle of the copy. Also,
the Tivo would become very unresponsive during the copy (on the first
attempt I tried to use it as normal however on subsequent attempts I just
had the Tivo on AUX bypass).

> Do/should I kill the main (myworld?) process prior to attempting to
copy streams...?
> Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a Tivo version of the
'ps' command...?

> Any tips/advice much appreciated.

Hi Andy,

I've been using Don McAllister's instructions that were posted to the
UKHA_Tivo group quite a while ago and, while they do involve a bit of
mucking around (TyTool, DVD2AVI, Winamp, vfapi and TMPGEnc), they've
never failed me, unlike any of the mucking around I've tried to do in
the past with TyStudio etc.

If it's just the .ty files you're after and don't want them to be
re-mpeg'd for dvd etc, I'm pretty sure TyTool can output them when in
TyStream mode.

You can get TyTool here:-
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123168&postcount=2

As for ps.... a quick google finds it and a few others here:-
http://www.xse.com/leres/tivo/downloads/

--
Doogie

UKHA 2004: 15th and 16th May 2004