Re: [OT] Merry Xmas?? not here, alas.. :

Bad luck, Ian. If the card didn't perform its basic function, maybe you
have some claim against Highpoint. Not that that will get your data back.

For future, can I recommend software-RAID? Unless your server does a lot
of CPU-intensive work (which most servers don't), you will have loads of
cycles to spare. And your main CPU will be more powerful than anything
built into a RAID controller card. Software RAID places a very small
burden on your CPU, but it saves money, performs at least as well in 90%
of cases, and allows you to configure your system exactly how you want
(you can RAID partitions as well as disks, so you can put essential data
and system files on RAID-1, and less important data on RAID-5 or even
RAID-0). And you will only be dependent on the linux kernel, not some
proprietary system over which you have no control.

Cheers,

Bruno

Ian Lowe wrote:
> Or, put another way, Highpoint strikes again...
>
> I'm kicking myself around the place for letting my guard down, and
> trusting a single shred of data to the *crap* that is highpoint: Jen
> and I got home this morning at about 2am, all festive and cheery...
>
> To find a dead server.. the main company server that stores all of
> our documents, email etc... the one with no tape drive, as it's gone
> faulty and we are waiting for HP to ship a replacement..
>
> except, I haven't been too fussed with the HP delays, because I
> rebuilt the server in September to use 4 160Gb disks in a Raid 5
> set... I have a great track record with Raid5: on Compaq Proliants, I
> didn't lose a single byte, despite some nasty failures...
>
> However, it's now abundantly clear that the Rocket"RAID"
Card has