Re: Re: Touch Screen kiosk pc on ebay

Hi Keyvan

You can extend the LCD to CPU cable but only about a max of 20-30cm at
most. This is a high speed parallel connection so anything higher and
you will suffer from poor video quality with lines dropping or out of
sync etc. Believe me, I have tried with a VGA TFT which is slightly
lower frequency and it don't work.

What you need to do is use an LVDS link instead. Advantech sell a couple
of boards to do this, but you are looking at over £100 for the 2 boards
and around £20+ for the cable, which can be up to 20m long. This is a
very high speed serial link operating at a low 300mV signal level or
thereabouts. Speeds can be 1.5Gb/s or higher. I have seen that some of
the latest VIA Mini-ITX boards are going to be having an LVDS
transmitter fitted so connecting a bare LCD will be much easier. By the
way, the digital connection is far superior to the Analog VGA connection
on most TFT monitors. DVI is a sort of LVDS type interface and this is
why it is much higher quality.

Hope this helps
Dave...

keyvan2r wrote:

> Simon
>
> I guess you know by now that the screen is fixed.
> This is only due the fact that the a flat cable (about 6")
connects
> from the screen to the mobo - for graphics and touch/serial. If you
> could get a longer cable, you could detatch the screen.
> The screen is very quality - only 800x600 though, made by NEC.
> The touch panel overlay is the glass 12" resistive unit by
elotouch,
> as are the drivers etc.
> There is already a big discussion on mp3car.com (see my link on my
> original post) on how these can be modified for car use, silent
> running, u/g of CPU and RAM etc.
>
> There are some pictures on the thread from "Zenmaster"
showing it