RE: [OT]ish Dell gps

But 'Third Party' is defined further up as "all goods that are not
Dell-branded Products", so they could argue that the customer was
fully
aware it was a third-party product, though the basis of this contract is
really focused on software (i.e. XP) rather than hardware.  What happens
when a Western Digital HD fails in a Dell PC?  they fix it.  As you bought
the Tom-Tom as a package, you could argue that the jacket is an integral
part of the hardware, in the same way that an HD or PSU is.

Having said all that, I don't think this practise is unusual; as an
example,
my S/E BT headset failed last week.  The retailer only covers failures up
14 days after purchase, so I call S/E, and they tell me to send it to
Celestica, at my cost, for repair.  Compare that to good ol' Screwfix who
just swapped a drill for me, even though it was past a year old, and fairly
beaten up.

I'm sitting on both sides of the fence here; my company became a Dell
Service Partner a few months ago, and I'm the project manager, so I can
kind
of see Dell's point in comparison with other retailers who do exactly the
same thing, but equally Dell are VERY focused on customer service at the
moment, and if you can get through the barriers and speak to someone with
authority, you WILL get a satisfactory response.

Pete