From: Andy Laurence [mailto:andy@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 24 February 2004 21:16
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] High Resolution Security Cameras

I was thinking about how cheap megapixel digital cameras are these days (3
megapixels for under a ton), and how decent used cameras are available for
peanuts.  I was looking for some software that would monitor a digital
camera via USB.  It seems that PTP is the protocol making its mark.  It
supports remote capture, download of images, etc.  However, I can't seem to
find any software that will do motion detection with the results.

Motion (http://motion.sf.net) can
capture from any v4l source, and does
motion detection.  For those using PIRs for occupancy detection, this is
another option (unless you have pets roaming the house).  Does anyone know
of software that will do the same with a digital camera of a higher
resolution?  Perhaps I should use Motion with a video camera to detect
motion and grab video, and triggering images to be captured from digital
cameras carefully placed around the house.  Anyone have any other
solutions=
?

At least with webcams costing under =A320, and reasonable used still
camera=
under =A350 it won't cost much to kit out the whole house!

Cheers,
Andy
--=20
http://ha.andylaurence.co.uk
http://projects.andylaurence.co.uk

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx=20