Re: Re: Bathroom LCD

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 12:52 AM
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Bathroom LCD

wrote:
> > I posted a message on uk.d-i-y about how to provide a safe
> > 12v or 24v supply in a bathroom for a TFT panel display, and
> > the response made me a bit concerned about a panel's
> > suitability in a humid environment.
> >
> > Anyone got any experience of using these in a bathroom (or
> > knows if a 12v or 24v supply is allowed by the regs?)
>
> Dont know much about LCDs in bathrooms, but do know a bit about the
> regs.
>
> Bathrooms (and other wet areas) are divided into "zones",
depending
> on how wet and well connected you are.  In the bath or shower where
> you want to use your LCD telly is Zone 1, and has the most stringent
> regulatory approach.
>
> Your equipment here should be SELV (Safety Extra Low Voltage).  SELV
> means more than running on 12 volts or whatever, the isolating
> devices from the mains must comply with a BS3535  and all the stuff
> in the wiring regs.
>
> Once you've got that sorted, you then need to ensure that your
> communications wiring (eg coax carrying composite video) also has
> adequate isolation in case the (for example) VCR insulation fails.
>
> Tricky stuff, but not impossible.

I did wonder about the connection to Cat5 or Coax - a straight connection I
guess would remove the isolation by providing a reference to ground.  There
doesn't need to be a coax link, since the images are all streamed from the
PC.  I guess a wireless link would allow me to run everything from a SELV
supply with no other connection to anything electrical.

As far a SELV supplies go, I've only seen lighting transformers - but I
assume one of those could provide a safe supply.  Do you know if there is
such a thing as a SELV socket outlet?

The alternative is to forgo the movies and put an audio-only set up in the
roof above the bathroom.  I would still need to be able to pick songs from
menu, though, and the only thing I can come up with is a wireless PDA -
unless there is a cheaper was to wirelessly browse web pages?

Mal

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx