Re: vodafone gprs

Ho Yin,

There's one bit of the setup you can't do by poking buttons on the phone or
the iPaq - you have to phone up customer services on your network, and ask
them to do it for you.... here goes :

There are logically two different things you need to do:

- Set up your phone to have an Internet GPRS APN (Access Provider Network)
- Set up your iPaq to use your phone as the gateway

The most common problem I've encountered with setting up iPaq / T68
combinations is that people say "I can access WAP sites through my
phone
using GPRS, so I must have the phone connecting to the Internet OK".

Alas, this is not so. Vodafone, in their infinite wisdom, provide separate
APNs for WAP access to normal Internet access. You will need to phone up
your airtime provider (ie - the organisation with whom you signed an
airtime
contract) to ask Vodafone to set up an APN for you.

This will take a few hours, after which your phone will get a "new
settings
received - do you want to import them" message (I forget the exact
wording.)

After that, you can follow the iPaq instructions on the Vodafone site as
follows:

- www.vodafone.co.uk
- "Get more from your mobile" on the second horizontal red menu
at the top
- "Internet on the move" from the left hand menu
- "Set up your PDA" from the submenu that appears
- Pick your PDA, follow the instructions....

M.