Re: networked mp3 players

There was a comment about this on the slimp3 mailing list a few days back.
It
appears that Roku have pinched the source from Slimp3, which is fine as it
is
open source, but are refusing to acknowledge that this is where it came
from.
Other complaints are that they have not returned their modifications, which
given the software is licensed under the GPL is a violation of the license.
They have also somehow managed to turn a cross-platform compatible piece of
software into windows-only (although I note from their site they say Mac
too).

Some of the original discussion can be found below

http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/2004-February/025440.html

Personally I'd wait and see whether Roku acknowledge their legal and moral
obligations and join in with the community development process before
giving
them any of my money. To date it appears they are very non-responsive in
this
regard, but at this point I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt since
the
product isn't actually on the market yet and their organisation may just be
getting up to speed.

Steven