RE: Placing DS1820's

Paul Smith wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>       I'm shortly going to be putting DS1820 (1-wire temp sensors) in
> each
> room of the house.
>
>       The grand plan is to automate the heating and cooling of each
> room.
> So that I can set a desired temp and the system does the rest.
>
>       What I am wondering is does it matter where in the room the
> sensors
> are. I'm planning to mount them in the ceiling in a discreet vented
> box. But
> just want to check that this would be ok.
>
>       I know heat rises and therefore the temp at ceiling is going to
> be
> higher than at body height, so I think I can just compensate for this
> change.
>

> The current plan is this.
>
>       DS1820 in each room wired back to a TOM10 with autom8it plug-in
> (Available Soon)
>
>       Then a set of relays driven by autom8it (again in the pipeline)
> which operate valves, hidden in the floor, by each rad.
>
> Also there will be X10 control of floor standing AC units where
> available.
>

> Regards,
>
> Paul,

Hi Paul

Cannot recommend ceiling mounting - you could be measuring the temp a
good couple of feet above the area you are interested in and even using
offsets to compensate may not give very good control. The convective
currents from radiators will rise across he ceiling and if using UFH
the lack of convection may have the opposite problem. Wall mounted is
the most practical although not quite as discreet, and you need to
avoid areas directly influenced by your heating/cooling sources,
draughts from the wall if using back box mounted enclosures and solar
gain through windows. Light switch height would be fine and keep things
visually aligned on the wall.

If you want really discreet take a look at the thimble sensors from
Sontay
(www.sontay.com/shoptemplate/templates/pricelist_customer_specific.asp?Group
Guid=211) -
these house a standard thermistor bead and with a little ingenuity you
can mount them directly to a finished surface. I've not seen the 1-wire
sensors to know exactly how large they are, but you may be able to
adapt them to use as housings for your 1-wire sensors.

Neil B.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx