Re: Electronic gurus? Capacitor theory question...

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Keith Doxey" <ukha@d...> wrote:

> Very loud bang from the equipment at which point the
> capacitor created its own exit hole from the plastic case
> and embedded itself in the ceiling.
>
> 30 seconds earlier I had been leaning over the case :-(

Eek.

Sadly, such stories are not unusual; I've had my fair share of
ringing ears, but not been hit - yet.  Neither has anyone else I
know, but there must be people out there wth big bruises or stitches
as evidence...

> ...failed to spot a short circuit diode which fed the
> filter capacitor with AC. It didnt like it one bit.

I guess thats what you call excessive ripple current :-)