RE: Automatically setting a PC's time

NTP compensates for the delay between client and server however obvioulsly
the further away in network times the more variable and hence less
predicatble the delay will be.

True NTP makes regular requests to a server and is constantly adjusting the
client clock to stay in line - and will bring inaccuracies into line slowly
(i.e. it wont "Jump" to the correct time and screw logs etc with
out of
sequence timings). Maximum accuracy (easily within 1 sec) - Maximum
"chatter" on your wan Link.

For most people a simple once a day sync PC clock to a "good"
source is
enough - hence the proliferation of GUI clients etc. that allow this.

As people have mentioned, If you have multiple machines - you should
configure only 1 to reference an external source and have the rest use that
as their server. Most ISPs should have ntp servers have a dig round their
tech pages - no need to go further afield on the Internet than you have to.

The Janet NTP site says:-

http://www.ja.net/ntp/ntp-doc2.html

JANET Network Time Service
Joining the Service
A JANET organisation wishing to use the service must first register by
e-mail to JANET Customer Service (JCS), using the template provided below.
Once the application has been received, it will have to be approved and the
applicant will be notified of the result within five working days.

Dean