Re: Velux windows and automation

David,

It really depends on how many Velux windows you're planning to install.  If
there's a lot then go with Velux's system - you daisy chain to every window
with a serial bus, signalling each window.  Expensive though.

I installed a Velux in my son's bedroom.  The interface unit for this
single
window was approx £150.  You can't control them with volt free contacts
etc,
you 'program' each window and send a signal via the bus - a bit like X10.
didn't buy the interface as it wasn't worth it.  Instead I ran a cable from
inside the Velux IR receiver to Node 0.  With an IR LED emitter fitted
inside the Velux receiver the window can be controlled from your IR system,
HV or Comfort etc...  for example: when the alarm is set it could send a
repeated close signal to the window.
Zoned IR would be a cheaper way of controlling a number of windows in
different rooms.  However, the Velux control system is very good if you
want
to spend that sort of money.  It soon adds up though, motorised windows
with
blinds are around £800 each.

Why not rinf Velux technical and discuss your requirements with them - they
were helpful for me.

Regards

Simon