RE: [OT] Printers and Print Servers

Kieth, please note that HP external print servers will not work with a GDI
printer. For example HP's LJ3100XI (one of their few true GDI printers)
will
not run with their external print servers "JetDirect 500x- WORKS WITH
ANY
PARALLEL PRINTER (EXCEPT GDI PRINTERS IE DESKJET 710 720 820 1000 &
LASERJET
3100XI)". Most of HP's printers run GDI emulation and my 5000N with
32mb of
memory and my 4500N with 64mb of memory both run out of memory printing at
max
resolution off my GIS

Simon

Quoting Alex Monaghan <ha@xxxxxxx>:

> <tt>
> Keith,<BR>
> <BR>
> Generally support for MacOS / Linux will indicate a
&quot;real&quot; printer,
> many<BR>
> GDI's offer &quot;PCL emulation&quot;, but this is in software
rather than at
> the<BR>
> printer. I know the Samsung GDI does support Linux though (just to
> confuse<BR>
> the general rule!) as it has a Linux driver available (possibly even
on
> the<BR>
> CD)<BR>
> <BR>
> You may be able to get a GDI print driver to work over an
Ethernet<BR>
> connection as this is simply just the transport layer, but I've never
> tried<BR>
> it. I guess others on the list may have done it.<BR>
> <BR>
> Safest option is to get an HP with a JetDirect (card or external box),
> but<BR>
> that's less spending money available for HA kit :-(<BR>
> <BR>
> I was tempted by the cheapo Samsung, but couldn't be bothered with the
> agro<BR>
> of the Linux GDI software. If Windows based printing is all you need,
> then<BR>
> something like the ASDA Samsung may well be ideal as you can almost
> afford<BR>
> to throw it away when the toner expires !<BR>
> <BR>
> One other thing to check is how much memory is in the printer, the
Brother
> I<BR>
> got couldn't print the maximum resolution without a memory upgrade,
> whereas<BR>
> (I think) a GDI printer can run with less as it's purely a print
engine
> as<BR>
> the rendering is done on the host PC.<BR>
> <BR>
> Alex<BR>
> <BR>
> </tt>

> <tt>
> UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!<BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <BR>
> Subscribe:&nbsp; ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx <BR>
>

> <!-- **begin egp html banner** -->

> <tt><hr width="500">
> <ul>
> <li>To visit your group on the web, go to:<br><a

d/</a><br>&nbsp;
> <li>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
to:<br><a
> href="mailto:ukha_d-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx?subject=Unsubscribe";>ukha_d-
> <li>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
> href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>Yahoo!
Terms of Service</a>.
> </ul>
> </tt>
>
> <!-- **end egp html banner** -->

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx