Re: [OT] Printers and Print Servers

Kieth I use a Brother 1250 with an external 3 port Jet Direct box and have
no
problems at all. I also have a spare JetDirect card (internal) kicking
around
in my office if it is any use. These little brother printers are in my
opinion
much better quality than the budget HP ones and toner doesn't cost the
earth.
As for jet direct boxes either look at the Jet DirectEXPlus3 or the Jet
Direct500x. They fetch about 20 quid on ebay. Easy to configure and seem to
work seemlessly with most printers.

Simon

Quoting Keith Doxey <ukha@xxxxxxx>:

> <tt>
> Hi All,<BR>
> <BR>
> My old LaserJet4 is starting to play up and I think it might be time
<BR>
> to replace it (just had to clean it again for the second time in a
<BR>
> couple of months). I am unsure whether the problems are due to tone
<BR>
> running low or whether some other bits are worn out but looking at
<BR>
> prices, the Toner for an LJ4 costs as much as some Samsung and
<BR>
> Brother printers !!!!<BR>
> <BR>
> I dont want to fall into the same trap as I did with my colour
<BR>
> printer. That had been out of action for a while due to lack of
<BR>
> colour cartridge, I decided that even though the colour cartridge was
<BR>
> almost as expensive as some of the newer printers I would buy one
<BR>
> because I had a couple of brand new black cartridges on the shelf.
<BR>
> After fitting the colur cartridge I discovered that BOTH the black
<BR>
> cartridges were unuseable because they were too old. I would hate to
<BR>
> shell out the best part of £100 on a Toner Cartridge only to find I
<BR>
> needed a new drum or something as well.<BR>
> <BR>
> The LaserJet4 is networked and all the new Laser printers I have seen
<BR>
> that I can afford are USB or Parallel port only. I realy dont want to
<BR>
> have a PC on all the time and am considering getting a Netgear or
<BR>
> similar Print Server. If I bought one with two or more ports it would
<BR>
> also allow me to add the colour printer directly to the network
<BR>
> rather than via the XP machine.<BR>
> <BR>
> A few questions though....<BR>
> <BR>
> 1. Any recommendations for a good but inexpensive Laser printer. It
<BR>
> doesnt get used too much ( I am still using the Toner Cartridge that
<BR>
> was in the LJ4 when it was given to me!)<BR>
> <BR>
> 2. Am I likely to get any compatabiliy problems trying to connect my
<BR>
> Lexmark 5770 via a print server.<BR>
> <BR>
> 3. Recommendations for a good 2 or 3 port print server.<BR>
> <BR>
> Thanks<BR>
> <BR>
> Keith<BR>
> <BR>
> </tt>

> <tt>
> UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!<BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <BR>
> Subscribe:&nbsp; ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx <BR>
>

> <!-- **begin egp html banner** -->

> <tt><hr width="500">
> <ul>
> <li>To visit your group on the web, go to:<br><a

d/</a><br>&nbsp;
> <li>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
to:<br><a
> href="mailto:ukha_d-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx?subject=Unsubscribe";>ukha_d-
> <li>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
> href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>Yahoo!
Terms of Service</a>.
> </ul>
> </tt>
>
> <!-- **end egp html banner** -->

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx