RE: [OT] Printers and Print Servers

Keith,

Generally support for MacOS / Linux will indicate a "real"
printer, many
GDI's offer "PCL emulation", but this is in software rather than
at the
printer. I know the Samsung GDI does support Linux though (just to confuse
the general rule!) as it has a Linux driver available (possibly even on the
CD)

You may be able to get a GDI print driver to work over an Ethernet
connection as this is simply just the transport layer, but I've never tried
it. I guess others on the list may have done it.

Safest option is to get an HP with a JetDirect (card or external box), but
that's less spending money available for HA kit :-(

I was tempted by the cheapo Samsung, but couldn't be bothered with the agro
of the Linux GDI software. If Windows based printing is all you need, then
something like the ASDA Samsung may well be ideal as you can almost afford
to throw it away when the toner expires !

One other thing to check is how much memory is in the printer, the Brother
got couldn't print the maximum resolution without a memory upgrade, whereas
(I think) a GDI printer can run with less as it's purely a print engine as
the rendering is done on the host PC.

Alex

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx