Re: OT: Grand Designs Episode 4 BitTorrent Release

Thanks Doogie,

I like the series (seen 1 & 2 so far) but if they don't show it on
bbc1 or 2 I can't get it "the normal way".
Will download it as of tonight and seed until monday (because that's
when I need my machine in the office again)

keep rippin'

Rob.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Doogie Brodie <ukhad@d...> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> In anticipation of people having missed tonights Grand Designs, I've
> got a Torrent up and running
>
> Existing BitTorrent users, here's the link:-
> http://www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns4.mpg.torrent
>
> (previous episodes of this series are still currently available but
not
> for too long!
> http://www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns3.mpg.torrent
> http://www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns2.mpg.torrent
> http://www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns1.mpg.torrent
> )
>
> Newbies:-
>
> The file on my site is a few k and is a BitTorrent file. BitTorrent
is a
> peer-2-peer file sharing system.
>
> First thing you'll need is a BitTorrent client. My favourite client
with
> the most features is ABC - http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/
download
> that (or any other BitTorrent client program)
>
> Once you have a client, you want to give it the torrent file -
either
> save to disc from the link I gave and double click it
> (http://www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns4.mpg.torrent)
,
or
> ABC has the ability to directly add from URLs which you can use.
>
> After this happens, your client will scan for seeds - people with
the
> file available and their client open and allowing upload. At the
moment,
> there is only 1 seed, me! Your client tries to connect to as many
seeds
> as possible and download random bits of the file to assemble it. The
> more seeds that have the file available, the faster your download
will
> happen (obviously limited by the speed of your connection though!)
So as
> more people start to download, the number of seeds increases.
>
> One of the major problems that people get is a speed issue if
they're
> behind a NAT'd connection (firewall, router etc). If this is the
case
> and you get very low download speeds (eg < 1k/sec), then you'll
want to
> setup port forwarding on your router - forward TCP ports 6881
through
> 6999 to the machine running the client.
>
> In BitTorrent, the general etiquette is to have your client open and
> uploading the file for as long as possible after the download has
> completed, to keep it available to others as fast as possible. This
is
> particularly important with a release like this, since it's a small
> group of users on UKHA_D.
>
> Hope that explains everything! If you have any further questions,
drop
> me a mail *OFF-LIST*
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Doogie

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx