Re: PC PCI tv cards

Jon,

Thanks ... I will have to look at it over the weekend ...

Perhaps I should annoy my girlfriend and look at it on saturday night?

hee hee ...

Thank you all for your help and thoughts!

Ho Yin

At 15:11 12/02/2004, you wrote:
>See=20
><http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.asp>http://www.depicus=
.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.asp=20
>for a useful
>command line and GUI Wake-On-Lan util.
>
>Jon

Win TV
>series?
> >
> > I've used a few.
> >
> > > IS it worth getting the digital version? so I can watch the
freeview
>channels?
> >
> > I'm thinking about it.  It's only =C2=A375ish, you get better
quality, =
there's
>no encoding to be done by the PC, and you get loads of channels without
>worrying about IR transmitters.
> >
> > > Is the quality any good? would it be the same as watching on
a normal
>TV?
> >
> > I'd certainly hope so, but I've not seen one in action.  AIUI,
they jus=
>record the MPEG stream straight from the airwaves onto your disk, so
you
>can't get better quality live TV.
> >
> > > Can you record streams from them?
> >
> > Yup.  They say it requires a Pentium spec machine on the
Hauppauge webs=
ite
>(PIII 500 recommended).  This isn't very specific.  I'm hoping that as
>there's no encoding/decoding to be done by the PC, I can use an old
P200 o=
>similar to record the streams.  I then plan to play the recordings
through=
>mixture of network media players, and hacked laptops.
> >
> > > I also read something on the web about getting broadband
through the
> > > digital boxes?????
> >
> > That's digital satellite (like Sky Digital), not freeview.
> >
> > > Or am I just getting confused? So many questions!
> >
> > That's what the list is for!
> >
> > > Also is there a program or something that can startup your
PC
>automatically?
> >
> > No program - there's no OS running when its on.  As already
stated, you=
>BIOS may support it, or you could use Wake-On-LAN.  Also, there are a
coup=
le
>of X-10 solutions: an appliance module on the power cable, and a low
volta=
ge
>relay to press the power button.  The latter option would suffer from
stat=
us
>reporting issues though.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andy
> > --
> > <http://ha.andylaurence.co.uk>http://ha.andylaurence.co.uk
> > http://projects.andylaurence.co.uk
> >

> > UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
> > <http://www.ukha2004.com>http://www.ukha2004.com
> >
> > http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
> > Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

>UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
><http://www.ukha2004.com>http://www.ukha2004.com
>
>http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx

>    *=20
> <mailto:ukha_d-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx?subject=3DUnsubscribe>ukha_d-u=
nsubscribe@xxxxxxx=20

>    *
>    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the=20
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo!
Terms of Service.

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20