Re: Can an LD11 control a 240v 50w Halogen bulb?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Can an LD11 control a 240v 50w Halogen bulb?
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:13:15 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <lists@xxxxxxx; wrote:
> Running pretty identical setup to that in AV Room.  2 circuits
> of mains 50W halogens on the ceiling.  Been running for over
> four years now without a bulb being replaced, never mind an
> LD10.

'tis odd indeed.  In my experience, soft started haloblubs never
die.  Started directly on full power, yes, but not soft started.

So the question is, we are soft starting these, and not starting a
full brilliance ala LD10, yes?

The physical constraints of mains voltage halogens is fairly scary.
The filiment needs to be mains rated, yet small for focus reasons.
Although never as satisfactory as the LV halaogens, they are pretty
good.  But if that filament does colapse, you do have a short
circuit on your hands.  It is hard (read expensive) to build a
dimmer that can withstand a short circuited load.  Most dimmers will
lay down their lives to protect the fuse supposedly protecting the
circuit.  Fuses that are fast enough to protect a triac are both
physically quite large and expensive.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx