RE: Free copy of Lindows

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Free copy of Lindows
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:08:30 -0000

>Following my Outlook disaster - 50,000 emails down the drain - I wonder
if >a Linux based system would lose data the same ?

Well, having lost a ridiculous amount of data on a Linux server... yes.

If you have access to Windows Server 2003, volume shadow copies are the
absolute mutt's nuts - the absolute last word in getting your data back.

Since my Linux disaster (basically, down to an immature driver that
stopped a RAID 5 set from working as intended) I have switched across to
Win2k3, using shadow volume copies, I can step back in time to 64
previous save points, spanning (in my case) 32 days, and recover whole
folders, single files, etc..

I also have all of the disks in my server mirrored in software (and have
pulled on and plugged it into another PC to check that it can be
recovered.

On top of that, I backup everything to a USB2 External HDD using a
scheduled windows backup.

Short version - What you need is a reliable backup!!

My own view is that Linux has it's place, as a very reliable OS in terms
of *uptime* but if you actually fancy getting your data back from a
hardware crash, use Windows - either way, if you don't have a regular
(and tested) backup, you will (like me) deserve everything you get.