RE: Aaarrrrggghhh

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Aaarrrrggghhh
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:33:53 -0000

I just spent a glorious hour on the phone to BT too. My problem is
slightly=
different, but no less annoying!

For 6 years I have had nothing but ISDN2e coming in to my house, no
analogu=
e line at all. Now I can get ADSL, but that of course needs analogue. So,
m=
y choices are as follows:

1. Downgrade the ISDN to analogue, this will be free if I buy BB from BT,
b=
ut =A345 if I want to use another supplier.

2. Install a separate analogue line, this will cost =A3100 + VAT
installati=
on and =A341 + VAT quarterly line rental if I order through Business
Sales,=
or =A371 inc VAT installation and =A334 inc VAT line rental through reside=
ntial sales!

Now, if I go with 1, I lose the ability to have 4 telephone numbers (MSN)
w=
hich I currently use (Home, Business, Fax, Data) so I can't really go with
=
that option.

With 2, I am out of pocket on an install and my line rental (already
=A3159=
+ VAT per quarter) is jacked up too. But there are some savings by going r=
esidential rather than business.

But then to add insult to injury BT tell me that the residential line can
n=
ot have static IP! What the hell are they talking about, there is no
reason=
for the cost difference anyway other than the fact they like to screw busi=
nesses and now they reckon one line can provide static IP and the other
can=
't! It's only a bloody wire ffs!

What is actually the case I think is that BT will not sell their Business
B=
B service to customers who have residential lines and that BT will only
giv=
e static Ips to those who buy Business BB. But surely the provision of the
=
static IP is down to the ISP, not the telco.

So, for the sake of my sanity, can someone please confirm that with a bog
s=
tandard BT analogue line, I can have ADSL from another ISP including a
stat=
ic (or even more than on) IP address.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx=20