Re: VPN setup

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: VPN setup
  • From: "Adam Stevens" <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 18:13:26 -0000

"UKHA " <ukha@xxxxxxx; wrote in message
news:<668C43E55C9C9E4582871B7B1D65DA4391F6@xxxxxxx>...
> Just checked the details of the router and it supports the GRE
prorocol
> to allow VPN pass through but cannot see anything on the menus for the
> router. Do you think I need to enable something, the NAT seetings
> options are for TCP or UDP and currently I'm doing 1723 on TCP.

My understanding of IP is slightly shaky, so someone else might jump in
and tell me I'm talking rubbish, however I *think* it works like this:

GRE is just another protocol (number 47), in the same way as TCP is
protocol number 6, UDP is number 17 and ICMP is number 1

My linksys router allows forwarded ports as only either TCP and/or UDP.
However, there are also global "allow IPSec pass though" and
"allow PPTP
pass through" options, which have to be enabled to allow GRE to be
forwarded with TCP (at least, that's what I assume it does!).

I *think* that PPTP only uses TCP over 1723, but GRE (General routing
encapsulation) is used for part of the authentication.

Not much help I know, but all I can suggest is that you try and find
someone else who has VPN working on a Eicon Diva 2440, either that, or
look for some mention of PPTP and/or IPSEC and randomly click on things
until either it works, or you get bored!

A.