some WAP questions...

a colleague of mine was just complaining about wifi blindspots in certain
parts of the house, and asking for advice...

I suggested purchasing an uprated antenna, but couldn't for the life of me
think of any of the sites to suggest, so my first question is.... :-)

I also suggested experimenting with the positioning of the current antenna,
and also having a trawl around to see if there is a radio strength hack
like
there was for the Linksys WAPII's - does anyone know if the Netgear 54g
range have any such hacks available?

And lastly, I have replaced my linksys WAPII for a Netgear 54g WAP myself,
which was prompted mainly by the fact that I seemed to have been locked out
of the admin tool... basically, the MAC filter list has for some reason
decided to empty itself, but MAC filtering is still enabled, so *no* client
can attach via the wireless interface... as we know, the USB config utility
does not expose that particular setting option, so one has to use the SNMP
version of the tool... Unfortunately, despite my being pretty confident I'm
using the right password, the SNMP tool barfs whenever I try to write any
settings back to the device, - much as if I was using a read-only
password.... I fought with this bloody thing for an hour two before giving
up in disgust and promptly going off to PC World to buy the aforementioned
Netgear... :-)

I'd still like to get the WAPII sorted out though, so I can pass it on to a
relative, so does anyone know if there is a factory reset option available
so I can revert it to the original settings? - PS, I've also tried using
the
alternate SNMP management tool ("ATMEL" I think it's called), and
this
behaves the same, so it certainly appears that the WAP is only allowing a
read-only connection via SNMP....

TIA

Paul G.

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx