RE: Aaarrrrggghhh [was ADSL - Firewalls - Routers]

Tim - I feel your pain, well my father does.

As a now retired BT engineer of 35 years, he got a friend who is still an
engineer to come round and do the test for him in his spare time (naughty,
naughty).

It turned out to be a positive result, but he STILL CAN'T get connected
as...

"They can't place an order because their availability database shows I
might
not be able to have it.  The only way to be sure which side of the divide I
reside is to have an engineer come and test the line, but I can't get an
engineer....... GOTO 10"

Informing them of a test that has already had a positive result doesn't
change the info that the database tells them (has everyone lost their
common
sense?)

To make matters worse, my father lives on the boundary line between one
exchange and another.
The neighbour on the right is inside the maximum distance from one
exchange,
and so has nice broadband thanks very much.
The neighbour on the left is inside the catchment area of the bigger, and
closer, exchange and so has had broadband for a few years.

The discussions of wireless links and shared services between properties
are
ongoing...

good luck - seems like there's no easy solution to this one.

Scott

The information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is
intended only for the use of the named recipient. If you are
not the intended recipient please notify us immediately.
You should not disclose the contents to any other person,
nor take any copies.