Re: OT - Retix series 4000 lan bridges

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT - Retix series 4000 lan bridges
  • From: "matt_miles_uk" <m_miles@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:50:15 -0000

Hi!

Thanks for all your help.  I'll probabaly end up keeping them as
novelty pieces... and your right they aren't exactly quiet!

Cheers,

matt
P.S

Mine were off e-bay but I managed to get the only two with all the
ports intact and more importantly the boot disk!

wrote:
> > Is there no way to use 2 BNC cables to link them together
> > (the G.307 ports)?  Or does there have to be some kind
> > of exchange in the middle...
>
> Not sure.  With G.703 (actually, with all telecom provided
> syncronous lines) the telco provides the "clocking" which
the
> terminal equipment (the Retixs or whatever) "follow".  To
link two
> of them with just cables, one box would need to generate clocking,
> and the other accept the clocking.  if you can find a setting with
> name like "clocking internal/external" then you can set one
> internal, and the other to external, or maybe both to internal, as
> its G.703 without common clocking ala X.21.
>
> But aside for a play, you shouldnt use these.  You'll pay more in
> power to run the things over a period of time than going out and
> buying a modern equivalent for a couple of hundred quid.  And, if
my
> memory serves, they arent silent.
>
> > Maybe I should sell them to your friend!?!
>
> I think the fact he has just one is that its his swap-out spare,
now
> no longer needed, as there arent any of these things left.  You
may
> have the last pair of Retixs in the world.  Not kidding, there
just
> arent any around in use anymore...  A google search finds 4 hits,
> three for sales, one of which was for ebay for 99p, so maybe
you've
> been ripped off for 2.49 the pair :-)))

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx