Re: OT - Retix series 4000 lan bridges

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT - Retix series 4000 lan bridges
  • From: "matt_miles_uk" <m_miles@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:01:31 -0000

Thanks for the help.... shame I don't have a leased line!  Oh well,=20
they will make lovely bookends! :P

Pity there is no use for them anymore, they are built VERY well...=20
like you say they were once muchos expensivos.

Is there no way to use 2 BNC cables to link them together (the G.307=20
ports)?  Or does there have to be some kind of exchange in the=20
middle...

I managed to get two of these for the princly sum of =A32.49!  So its=20
not major stress if they don't do much.

Maybe I should sell them to your friend!?!

Cheers,

Matt

P.S

Shame you threw out the manual.  Don't suppose you have anything=20
else relating to them lying about?

<m_miles@xxxxxxx;=20
wrote:
> > Do they have a practical use anymore for anything?  Seems=20
> > a shame to chop them up!
>=20
> It was only a couple of months ago I binned the manual on the=20
basis=20
> of "I'll never need that again".
>=20
> These things are MAC remote bridges, and the idea is that you use=20
> them in pairs (or more usually, two pairs for resilience, remember=20
> these were high end product).  A serial line is required, most=20
> usually a G.703, for which you would have one or more pairs of BNC=20
> sockets, or X.21 (one or more 15pin D).  The serial protocol was=20
(or=20
> course) properietry, so Retixs only worked with Retixs.
>=20
> So if you dont have a high speed expensive leased line sitting=20
> around, they wont be much use to you.
>=20
> An old supplier and out-of-touch mate Frank (of www.tunak.com) is=20
> listing these for sale at 75 quid, which illustrates their current=20
> complete lack of value.  Im trying to remember their new price=20
less=20
> than a decade back, and 20K keeps coming to mind.  Back then (cue=20
> music), when you said you used Retix kit, people went ooohhhhh,=20
> noting that you worked for someone with budget.
>=20
> As falls from grace go, Retix's was enourmous.  In the 80s and=20
early=20
> 90s their remote bridge technology was _the_ answer, there was no=20
> even half serious competition for wide area LAN technology.  And=20
> then came the Router Revolution, and Retix just vanished.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx=20