Re: Grand Designs Episode 3 BitTorrent Release

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Grand Designs Episode 3 BitTorrent Release
  • From: "egelbeertje" <r_d_k@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:25:54 -0000

Hi,

just started to leech all 3 episodes. At current rate it will take
about 24hrs for ep2 and 3 and about 200hrs for ep1.
I'll keep them open on the weekend (not during friday since i need my
pc at work - firewall stuff) but only have 5kB/s upload to spare or
I'll blow my UL limit of 1.5gb/month.

rgds Rob

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, ho yin ng <yahoogroups@xxxxxxx; wrote:
> Doogie,
>
> Can you keep the seeds up till after the weekend?
>
> I want to download them .. and i will continue seeding if people
want them
> on and over the weekend.
>
> I won't be home till Friday to download them.
>
> Many thanks,
>

> Ho Yin
>
> At 12:14 05/02/2004, you wrote:
> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >In anticipation of people having missed last night's Grand
Designs, I've
<http://cloud8.org.uk/>http://cloud8.org.uk/ with
<http://cloud8.org.uk/bmis.html>http://cloud8.org.uk/bmis.html

> >Existing BitTorrent users, here's the link:-
>
><http://www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns3.mpg.torrent>http:
//www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns3.mpg.torrent

> >(previous episodes of this series are still currently available
but not
> >for too long!
>
><http://www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns2.mpg.torrent>http:
//www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns2.mpg.torrent
> >http://www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns1.mpg.torrent
> >)
> >
> >Newbies:-
> >
> >The file on my site is a few k and is a BitTorrent file.
BitTorrent is a
> >peer-2-peer file sharing system.
> >
> >First thing you'll need is a BitTorrent client. My favourite
client with
> >the most features is ABC -
> ><http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/>http://pingpong-
abc.sourceforge.net/
> >download
> >that (or any other BitTorrent client program)
> >
> >Once you have a client, you want to give it the torrent file -
either
> >save to disc from the link I gave and double click it
> >(<http://www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns3.mpg.torrent)
>http://www.doogiebrodie.com/torrents/GrandDesigns3.mpg.torrent)
> >, or
> >ABC has the ability to directly add from URLs which you can use.
> >
> >After this happens, your client will scan for seeds - people with
the
> >file available and their client open and allowing upload. At the
moment,
> >there is only 1 seed, me! Your client tries to connect to as many
seeds
> >as possible and download random bits of the file to assemble it.
The
> >more seeds that have the file available, the faster your download
will
> >happen (obviously limited by the speed of your connection though!)
So as
> >more people start to download, the number of seeds increases.
> >
> >One of the major problems that people get is a speed issue if
they're
> >behind a NAT'd connection (firewall, router etc). If this is the
case
> >and you get very low download speeds (eg < 1k/sec), then you'll
want to
> >setup port forwarding on your router - forward TCP ports 6881
through
> >6999 to the machine running the client.
> >
> >In BitTorrent, the general etiquette is to have your client open
and
> >uploading the file for as long as possible after the download has
> >completed, to keep it available to others as fast as possible.
This is
> >particularly important with a release like this, since it's a
small
> >group of users on UKHA_D.
> >
> >Hope that explains everything! If you have any further questions,
drop
> >me a mail *OFF-LIST*
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >--
> >Doogie
> >

> >UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
> ><http://www.ukha2004.com>http://www.ukha2004.com
> >
> >http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
> >Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> >Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx

> >    *
> > <mailto:ukha_d-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx?
> >
> >    *
> >    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo!
Terms of Service.