Re: Re: Cat5 cable for running outside

matt_miles_uk wrote:

> don't mean to sound like an idiot (i find it very easy!).  Why use
> cat5 at all?  Couldn't you use fibre and a converter on either end?
> Media converters are available on e-bay for next to nothing if your
> happy to use 10mbps... the 100mbps ones aren't that much more either.
>
> I suppose the cable is the expensive bit, depends how far you have
> to go really.  But patch leads on e-bay aren't hard to find up to
> about 25m.

I had thought about suggesting fibre for this but... that assumes the
cat5 is exclusively for ethernet (I think... do the media converters
handle non-ethernet things like kat5 etc ?) Does fibre not come in a
sleeve, therefore giving the same problems with uv degradation of sleeve
etc? I believe that there is a high cost of tools for terminating the
ends (unless you get a pre-terminated fibre in the length required)

Hmmmmmmmm

--
Doogie

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx