RE: OT - loft floor reinforcing

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT - loft floor reinforcing
  • From: "Paul G. Watkin" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:23:18 -0000

Hi Scott,

As the others have said I am no expert, however

"I am having velux windows in as part of a new roof fitting in
March"

Are you having the roof timbers replaced at this point?? If you are then
get whoever is doing the roof to size the roof trusses to accommodate
that fact you intend having the space made into a room.

If you are only having the tiles etc removed you may want to consider
having a completely new roof as the cost of the actual trusses isn't not
that large compared to the labor cost for the work you are already
having done.

If you keep the existing roof beams you need to reinforce them with new
larger timber and make what can be only described as an eggbox type
formation, either below the existing woodwork (i.e. the room below loses
a few inch's headroom) or above and your new space does. The sizing of
these timbers will need to be calculated by a competent structural
engineer and be presented as part of the building regs application

Depending on where you are in the country some BCOs don't apply the 2.4m
(7'6") rule anymore, check with yours.

Approach your building control office and ask if you can meet someone to
chat through your ideas, they should hopefully provide you with some
advice.

I had started the process of converting the space above an attached
garage before moving from my old house and found the BCO to be a very
helpful bloke who didn't mind giving a complete novice some assistance.

Paul

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx