Re: OS disk recovery software

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OS disk recovery software
  • From: "m_surgenor" <malcolm@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:23:35 -0000

Yes and no!

My bootable drives are cloned by XXCLONE batch files between 2 IDEs.
I see no reason why it couldn't be cloned over a mapped network drive
though.

My data drives *are* cloned over the network but I use XXCOPY batch
files for that - which doesn't make the drive bootable.   The batch
files are set up to do incremental backups nightly and I try to
remember to a full backup one a month (one of these days I'll get
around to setting these up in scheduler too!).

A full backup doesn't take too long, obviously it depends on the
data, but it doesn't take days. It's saved my bacon once already when
I lost the drive with several gb of music and video files...  Oh and
I've used it once to recover a .pst file when a sync with my PDA went
wrong and doubled everything up - but you didn't want to hear
that!  :-)

Both bits of s/w are available from http://www.xxclone.com and
http://www.xxcopy.com and they have an
excellent forum here in Yahoo!

Malcolm

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dean Barrett" <dean@xxxxxxx; wrote:
> Malcolm
>
> Do you clone a drive over the network or just between 2 IDE's in
the same
> machine ?
>
> I always have visions of cloning a drive taking days..
>

> Dean.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx