RE: Node Zero Location in existing house.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Node Zero Location in existing house.
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:24:01 -0000

> From: ianh1000 Sent: 01 February 2004 20:53
>
> Hi All,
>
> I would appreciate comments from you on location of hardware.
> I have a modest CAT5 install at the moment with 8 sockets to share a
> broadband connection around the house and various file shares. This
> is currently installed in the bottom of the airing cupboard as it was
> the simplest place to wire to.
>
> The current location has an 8 port switch and ADSL router installed,
> I think it is far too hot and I am asking for trouble.

Unless you DHW cylinder is very well insulated, along with all of the pipes
I think it will be too hot.

I want to add
> more sockets ( 16 or 32) for various functions across the house also
> looking at installing a comfort system and perhaps the Avnex Nexus
> switch. The obvious location is the understairs cupboard but I will
> have to tear the house appart to lay the cables.

Yup. Been there, done that :-)
It *is* an upheaval to retrofit the cabling, but worth it IMHO. See the
gory details at:
Also some pics of my DIY rack there too.

My wiring closet is under the stairs. The noisiest thing I have under there
ATM is a laser printer and the noise doesn't penetrate far outside.

> I have seen many of
> you who have node Zero in the loft but I have my concerns about temp
> and humidity in the loft.

Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't put anything remotely sensitive in the
loft. It gets very hot, very cold and very humid. How old is your house,
and does it have felt under the tiles ? I ask as one of my work colleagues
happened to go into his loft a few winters ago and found snow being blown
in there ! (he didn't have any felt).
If you were to create a fully insulated room up there, thermally connected
to the house, but well insulated from the rest of the loft space, you may
be able to limit the worst temperature extremes, but take care.

If you put your kit in the loft, you'll also have to wire from the ground
floor all the way up to the attic. If you put it downstairs or on the first
floor, your cable runs will be generally shorter (run in the floor void).

> I would expect to have a larger switch and wireless router or
> router/WAP combination, I also want to add a home media server in the
> same location. Is the loft a safe place to install all of this kit,
> what should I consider to make it reliable and safe ( fire hazzard?).

See above, plus a smoke alarm linked to the rest of the house's system ?
Also consider access. Remote reboots etc can all be done, but I find it
more convenient to go to a cupboard than up in the loft.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ian Henderson

No problem, just shout if anything else.

Tim H.

+

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx