Re: [OT] Outlook major failure - big panic !!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] Outlook major failure - big panic !!
  • From: "m_surgenor" <malcolm@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 13:11:16 -0000

mmmm, not sure what to suggest next since you've no backup (but then
you don't need reminding of that!)

I can't think of any circumstances where the whole file would
just 'disappear' in that way following a power cut.  I'm guessing
that the data must still be there on disk but that the file header or
structure info has been corrupted in some way.

Could you create a valid .pst file on another PC somewhere and look
at that with something like Uneraser or File Scavenger or some other
low level disk tool. Then compare that with what's on the corrupted
PC.

Also, I've no experience of them but there are other .pst recovery
tools mentioned at

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm

which may be worth a look.

Malcolm

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dean Barrett" <dean@xxxxxxx; wrote:
> Malcolm
>
> Tried this - it reports file is to small to have any useful data in.
>
> I'm really starting to panic now.
>
> The file must have been at least 800+meg there was about 40,000
emails in
> there.
>
> Anyone got any other suggestions before i step outside with the
gun :(

> Dean.

Tool?  You
>   should have scanpst.exe somewhere on your PC.
>
>   Malcolm

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx