Re: Re: OT Document archiving...continued

> Can paperport 9 be run on a network
> ie everyone have access to it ? I seem to remember that paperport 8
> could
> only be used on one machine. I maybe wrong

Direct from Paperport Help

PaperPort is able to view and manage files on your local machine or on any
machine on your network--whether it's a folder on a network server or a
shared folder on a colleague's PC.
Simply use the PaperPort Folders option on the Tools menu to browse to the
network and then to the folder you want to access.
Once you add the folder to PaperPort, you will automatically have access to
all information in that folder.
In addition, SimpleSearch operations that you initiate on your computer
will
include all files in that folder.

To add a shared folder on the network

1. On the Tools menu, click PaperPort Folders.
2. In the PaperPort Folders dialog box, click Add.
3. Browse to the network and then to the folder you want to access.
4. Select the folder, and then click OK.

Now, within your copy of PaperPort, you will see the folder listed in the
Folders pane. So that you can always know where the folder is located on
the
network, the name of the host machine is included in the folder name.
For example, if you add a shared folder named Workgroup Project that
resides
on Network_B, the folder name is "Workgroup Project on Network
B."

So I think that's a yes

Obviously, you do still need to run local copies on each machine but I
think
the volume licencing is fairly reasonable?

Cheers

Neil

> ie everyone have access to it ? I seem to remember that paperport 8
> could
> only be used on one machine. I maybe wrong

It's
> also much quicker than messing around with folders, hole punches and
so
> on.
>
> As for hardware, I use an Epson 1640 but pretty much any scanner will
> scan at the resolution you require to scan documents. The really
really
> important thing is to get a scanner with a document feeder. My
previous
> scanner was a page scanner only and scanning a 200 page instruction
> manual was boring (and frankly, didn't get done). Now, it take a few
> seconds to load it up and press a button - Easy Peasy!
>
> So, for software (Ashramm take note ;-)) get Paperport - Pay for it if
> it doesn't come with the scanner. Scansofts tech support is excellent
> and free - something that I am happy to support by buying the
software.
> In addition,  Paperport is stable - Does what it says on the box
>
> For a scanner, if you don't want to scan pictures, get any old scanner
> that can be fitted with an ADF. I can't stress it highly enough - GET
AN
> ADF!!
>
> Don't forget to put all the redundant paper in the recycle bin (or, if
> it's single sided and not sensitive) take it to the local nursery for
> the kids to draw on.
>
> Happy scanning
>
> Cheers
>
> Neil