From: Neil Fuller [mailto:neil@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 31 January 2004 22:22
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: OT Document archiving...continued

Brian

Sorry for the late post - Been at work all day and just got in!

I think I'm the one who suggested Paperport in the previous thread - I
certainly rate it highly and have said so here a few times before.

At work, we scan all in coming letters,  bills, orders, cheques etc etc,
mainly so that all relevant people have quick access to any required
document.

At home, I scan anything and everything I think I may need at some point in
the future. Things like Payslips, bank statements, gas, water and electric
statements, equipment manuals, blah-de-blah-de-blah!!

Items such as share certificates etc are scanned but I also keep the paper
copies (same goes for House deeds etc). It's cut the filing cabinet down
>from
quicker than messing around with folders, hole punches and so on.

As for hardware, I use an Epson 1640 but pretty much any scanner will scan
at the resolution you require to scan documents. The really really
important
thing is to get a scanner with a document feeder. My previous scanner was a
page scanner only and scanning a 200 page instruction manual was boring
(and
frankly, didn't get done). Now, it take a few seconds to load it up and
press a button - Easy Peasy!

So, for software (Ashramm take note ;-)) get Paperport - Pay for it if it
doesn't come with the scanner. Scansofts tech support is excellent and
free - something that I am happy to support by buying the software. In
addition,  Paperport is stable - Does what it says on the box

For a scanner, if you don't want to scan pictures, get any old scanner that
can be fitted with an ADF. I can't stress it highly enough - GET AN ADF!!

Don't forget to put all the redundant paper in the recycle bin (or, if it's
single sided and not sensitive) take it to the local nursery for the kids
draw on.

Happy scanning

Cheers

Neil