RE: DVD Imerge type product does it exist?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DVD Imerge type product does it exist?
  • From: "Stephen Jones" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:36:23 -0000

Mick

It was me who posted a solution last month. From original post -->

I=92ve only had a quick look at this, but don=92t think it=92s been posted
=
the group before. It=92s a DVD movie server which streams movies to its
players over a 100baseT cat5 network. I haven=92t seen prices, but I think
we can safely say it=92s a lot more than not a couple of hundred quid. =96

http://www.kaleidescape.com/=20

=93The Kaleidescape Server is the heart of the Kaleidescape System. A
single Kaleidescape Server can store over 400 movies. A cluster of
multiple Kaleidescape Servers can store thousands of movies. Even with
thousands of movies stored in a rack full of Servers, the user still
experiences a single consolidated movie library. The Kaleidescape Server
provides redundant storage for the movie library using hot-swappable
disk drives. This means that no movies are lost if a disk fails, and the
bad disk may be replaced without the need to power down the system.

Connections
- 100BaseT Ethernet port
- RS-232 serial port for connecting to external control systems
Expandable to 3.6 terabytes of storage (based on currently available
disks).

Then I found the typical costs ->
I've just came across a typical base system cost -- $27,000 !!! And that
gets you a server, 1 movie player and the dvd player. Additional movie
players cost just short of $4000 each !!!
=20