Component over cat 5 v coax (and which coax to use)

  • Subject: Component over cat 5 v coax (and which coax to use)
  • From: "Jeremy Aston" <jeremyaston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:22:40 -0000

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone has any views on what difference there
may be sending component video over cat 5 as opposed to using three
coax feeds.

I am thinking of using baluns to take component video from my DVD via
cat 5e to my tv (which may be replaced soon with a 42in plasma).  The
run is about 12 metres.  I could lay coax instead but am not sure what
the max run lengths are and what the best coax to use is.  I would
assume a good quality copper on copper 75ohm CT100 type cable would be
good however I have seen some multistrand coax in an installation and
understand the winding of the multistrand as opposed to the single
core of CT100 is better at resisting interference.  I cannot find
anything about the benefits and where I could get some/cost etc so
would appreciate any help.

Of course, if there is not much difference between using Cat 5/baluns
versus coax for component then I will go the cat 5 route as I've
already providing the runs!

Many thanks in advance

Jez