Re: Re: SIPGate

On 08/12/2004 at 16:48 Patrick Lidstone wrote:

>--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Warren" <warren@t...> wrote:
>>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I've been looking into signing up with SIPGate for VOIP as they
appear
>> to offer geographic call numbers for the UK.
>> However when you go to register, all they offer is National /
Local /
>> Personal number...
>>
>> Has anyone managaed to get a 'normal' geograpic number for a
city??

>Yup, but from telappliant. (www.telappliant.com). They're a reseller
>for someone else, but I don't recall whom. Perhaps Andy knows?
>
>Patrick

Depends where you are, you could try http://www.gradwell.com/voip/ - my
advice is to stay well away from personal numbers

The good news for you is that Ofcom have given the go ahead for geograpical
number allocation which is what would have been holding suppliers back from
doing properly.

"The UK communications watchdog says it want to help build a
successful VoIP market in Britain, but one tough decision still has to be
taken Ofcom has begun to lay out the future for commercial voice over IP
(VoIP) services in the UK. The communications regulator announced on Monday
that Internet telephony service providers will be able to offer both
geographic and non-geographic numbers to their customers. Geographic
numbers will begin with 01 or 02, like today's existing fixed-line
telephone numbers. This will allow consumers to shift onto a VoIP service
but retain their existing number, or choose another that indicates where
they are located. "

(8th December 2004)

Andy