Re: Ethernet Boards

> I'll be doing another modtronix buy as soon as he has
> power-ver-ethernet support.

Hi Ant

Any details on the POE support? I have built it into the next prototype of
my board and it will accept up to 40 volts AC on the unused pairs. There
are two published implementations 1) injection which uses the unused pairs
as I have and 2) power over data which means you can run the power over the
data lines for Gigabit etc. The latter means a lot more wizardry to stop
stuff blowing up. Heck, if I built my own injection device it should detect
whether there is a POE compliant device on the other end to stop any
problems with swapping cables round. There are chips to do this but I
didn't take too much notice when reading the article.

Also, I think the standard is up to 52 volts AC for either although I
cannot run to that without a lot more electronics which I don't have either
the PCB room for or the necessary budget.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ian