RE: Backups - how do you do them?

>Hmmm ... Hadn't thought of going back to NT Server.

Well, it was desperation really - lots of media and server 2K or 2K3 just
don't seem to mix well - quite ironic really. I wanted a much simpler
system
much more like a NAS, but I simply wasn't prepared to touch Linux again.
(well, specifically ext3 - I have no problem with Linux in general)

I tried NT4 fully expecting to rip it off after a day or so, and the speed
is just jaw dropping. You forget just how fast windows used to be before it
got so bloated :

> My 2003 Server install decided to barf last week (of course it wasn't
legit so I can
> hardly complain) so I need to reinstall that server ...

In the main, I am very happy with 2K3 server for business needs, the shadow
copying alone is worth it's weight in gold. That being said, I had too many
downright weird issues moving big files around - the system running like a
hound, authentication taking ages etc.

It might amuse you to hear that my much maligned Rocketraid 404 card is now
back in service (with much newer firmware and drivers of course!) in the
NT4
server (without so much as a peep from it!)

> Do you know whether NT Server supports firewire drives?

I think it's down to the individual host adapter Phil - AIUI, Firewire is
more like SCSI than USB... Adaptec certainly lists NT4 drivers for their
firewire cards, so I'd guess so.

Ian.